GOOGLE I/O 2023: THE RISE OF AI AND HOW IT CAN IMPACT SEO
Google’s announcement of search upgrades at Google I/O is truly exciting. These upgrades have the potential to enhance search relevance, information, and engagement for users.
One particularly intriguing upgrade is the introduction of generative AI to search, allowing Google to provide more comprehensive and informative search results.
These upgrades are likely to have a significant impact on the real estate of the SERP and the overall search experience. However, it is important to note that it will take at least a year or so for the enhancements to be fully rolled out.
Despite these changes, the fundamental way search works will remain unchanged. SEOs will continue to focus on creating high-quality, audience-relevant content.
Regarding the impact on SEO, I agree with Juan’s thoughts. Google’s search upgrades hold the potential to affect various aspects:
- Impact on Local SEO: It is still early to determine the extent of the impact on local SEO. However, there is a possibility that user behavior might shift towards more specific queries, such as seeking the “best dentist for a root canal in X area.” This could pose challenges for businesses aiming to rank for local searches.
- Impact on AI-generated content: The impact on websites employing AI-generated content remains uncertain. Google might consider the quality of such content when ranking websites. This could make it more challenging for websites with low-quality AI-generated content to achieve higher search rankings.
- Impact on Backlinks: With Google’s search upgrades, backlinks, along with quality content, are likely to become even more critical. Backlinks signal to Google the quality and trustworthiness of a website. Focusing on building high-quality backlinks will be essential for improving search rankings.
Considering the approaching update, here are some suggested approaches:
- Generate High-Quality, Relevant Content – Create high-quality, relevant content that resonates with your target audience, as this remains a crucial factor in improving search rankings.
- Boost Rankings with Long-Tail Keywords – Utilize long-tail keywords, which are less competitive and more specific, increasing the chances of ranking for targeted searches.
- Write Clearly for Google’s Generative AI – Ensure your content is well-written and easily comprehensible to accommodate Google’s new generative AI capabilities.
- Enhance Engagement with Multimedia Content – Incorporate multimedia content, such as images, videos, and infographics, as Google’s generative AI can process and understand such media, making your content more engaging and informative.
- Keep Up with SEO Trends – Stay updated with the latest SEO trends, as Google frequently updates its algorithm. Remaining informed about emerging trends will help you adapt and optimize your strategies effectively.
By implementing these approaches and closely monitoring the developments, we can navigate the impact of Google’s search upgrades and continue to optimize our SEO efforts.